Saturday, January 31, 2009

An Interview with Kirk Kadish.

Jan.s: You're an accomplished pianist/composer Kirk and you have many musical projects running concurrently in a variety of modalities... What and who are your major musical influences? Kirk: I think Duke Ellington summed up my point of view when he said, "There are only two kinds of music: good music and bad music." I can't really describe very well how I decide what's "good" or "bad". I just know that a piece of music will either strike a resonant emotional chord in me or not. And that very discernible effect can change over the years or even from day to day. Today, for instance, jazz/R&B singer, Rachelle Ferrell, has really been speaking to me. And I heard a Peter Kater tune earlier that also just grabbed me. When I listened to him the other day, he wasn't really working for me. So I guess that makes me very fickle! Long-standing influences? Let's say Herbie Hancock, Keith Jarrett, Brian Eno, and Pat Metheny for starters. Then there's this young lady from "down undah" who's been impressing me a lot lately with her innovative, original, and inspirational vocal creations. She truly has a musical mind unfettered by convention or old, worn-out rules. Can anyone guess of whom I speak? Hope so! ;o) -------------------- www.kirkkadish.com/ www.myspace.com/tradewinds nb: Kirk Kadish & I have a soon to be released CD, titled 'ARTERIAL FLOW'. Keep watching this space for it's soon to be announced release!

No comments: