Skip to main content

Autumn Warmups!!

With winter around the corner in the Land of Oz I've collected some recipes from family and friends to warm the cockles of your heart.

From David Rowland's kitchen, a Blues pioneer of Australian music ..(drummer/Phil Jones & the Unknown Blues) ...(and interestingly enough with one of my own Mum's favourites) - a down to the bone recipe from his kitchen too!







Pea & Ham for the Winter Blues

Get a ham-bone from the butchers and a pack of dried split
peas from the supermarket. Rinse the peas and leave to soak. Put it all in a
pot and cook until tender. Season to taste and enjoy:)

Thanks David.

I've decided to cook it tonight!!!!Can't wait to tell you how it went!! The report is, not as good as Mums!!!

Now for a recipe from my cousin Kerry Thorp! That same cousin who was born in America. I wanted to hang out with that cowboy kid and indeed I did but I never got to wear the suit! Well here's one of that cowboy's  favourite recipes...




..and an abfab piccie of Kerry, his beautiful wife Robyn and their daughter Melissa. Robyn is greatly missed and is journeying on but her smiling generous heart lives on....


Cousin Kerry's Cowboy Soup!

Buy packet fresh soup vegetables with / plus celery, couple lamb shanks or lamb fore quarter chops ( all from supermarket), cup of dried soup mix (lentils/split peas etc), salt, pepper, clove of garlic if you want,tin of tomatoes, cover with water - simmer couple of hours, add handful or two of small noodles - serve when noodles are cooked.

Yet to be tried out...but thanks Kerry!  Enjoy that spa!






Now from the kitchen of another Ozzie, the lovely Gail Malone:



"Smoked Cod Chowder"..

Hi Janice, this is a beautiful soup I made up myself. All amounts approx as I don't measure. To one's own taste, I think is the phrase.

I made this soup up on the spur of the moment...last minute guests....it was just something thrown together from ingredients that I had in the herb garden, larder and fridge. So it's quick, easy and delicious. I guess you could substitute another variety of fish, it would work. My Mum purchased me a pack of frozen cod
when she found it at Aldi, as she remembered how much I loved it. When I was a kid on Friday nights in winter, we often had scotch haddock that she gently cooked in milk, we then put lashings of butter on it.....ah
the days before we knew about hardening of the arteries. So this soup evolved from that i.e. cooking the fish in milk and I just extended it. Cheers Gail



Smoked haddock (Aldi has it frozen, 3 pieces), simmered in milk until it can be
flaked. Remove fish, flake. Strain milk and reserve.
1 Onion, chopped and sautéed in olive oil
Add water to onion (approx a 2 litres) and add cubed potatoes (2) and corn
kernels (2 fresh ears or 1 med. tin)
Cook until tender, add flaked haddock (be careful of tiny bones) and reserved
milk, bring just to boil. Remove from heat add cream (1 cup) and a handful of
fresh chopped parsley and season.

If you are a dieter, you can make it on all lite milk....just be careful as the
milk can easily catch and give the soup a smoky taste.

I hope you like this, I made it for a dinner party last week and everyone
adored it.

Still to try it out but can't wait Gail - thank you

p.s.Chef Kerry alerted us to the difference between Smoked Haddock and Smoked Cod! To quote:
'Smoked cod and smoked haddock are different fish - they are NOT the same - one is thicker than the other - I think it's hard to get smoked haddock now - it's all smoked cod - which is also great just cooking it as is on the barbie!!!'

Copyright ingredients for the photos provided by the above cooks...David Rowlands, Kerry Thorp &  Gail Malone!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIgHHEz0tf4
http://www.philjonesmusic.com/

http://www.blues.org.au/bands/p/philjonesunknownblues.php

Comments

David Rowlands said…
In reference to my pea and ham soup recipe, I should have provided more info on "season to taste". The soup is bland and requires seasoning to lift the taste. Suggestions include garlic, garlic salt, paprika, chili, ginger, mustard, or curry powder. If you make a large quantity of unseasoned soup you can have a different seasoning for each meal and even mix the seasonings for more variety.

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating Gwen Byng & Brissie 60's Rock'n Roll

Janice: Gwen, I'm guessing your first connection with the music scene was in Brisbane? If not; where and who was it that took your imagination to become involved? Gwen: Good question! It was most definitely Brisbane but not really so much in a "who inspired me" way. I was doing Psychology at University of Queensland, 1st year, and around halfway through the year I did some "prac" observations at a place called The Open Door, which was run by an ex Minister of Religion Hayden Sargent, who was on talk back radio, and was involved in many things. My plan for my degree was to work with Drug Addiction, hence the connection to the Open Door He created this venue as a "Drop In Centre" for kids who needed a place to talk. Counsellors etc were on board and he also introduced regular gigs to attract the age group he was aiming for.  Friday night was "Blues" night, Saturday night was mainstream "Pop?" music with interstate guests who the loca...

Bruce Cale talks about working with Essra Mohawk. .

Janice:  Bruce, I can't quite remember when you mentioned to me that you played bass on a track of Essra Mohawk's 1970 'Primordial Lovers' album, but I was blown away as it was given to me by Joy Yates when we worked together in London.  It became one of my most loved albums.  Your intro on Í Have Been Here Before' is exquisite Bruce; this track is out of this world...such fabulous vocals and musicianship from all.  Far far ahead of its time...gorgeous melodic lines, profound lyrics and a mix of genres.....I almost weep every time I hear it.  Was the session in Elektra Studios in LA?  Bruce:  Can't remember which studio. The recording date was late 1969. My connection was drummer James Zitro who was on that track.  Mike Cohen was keyboard, Kenny Jenkins was the electric bass, I was the Arco Bass player, don't remember who the others were. Essra sang while we played on that take as I recall. Essra, had me do another session with just her and I....

Watchglass: Wheels in an Elsewhere: part two of an interview with singer/songwriter Gina Graham

Janice: Do you begin recording with a basic guitar and vocals track?  Gina: The way Mark and I work is that he will create an instrumental backing track and I will write the vocal part to fit the track. Sometimes I already have a set of lyrics that I wrote independent of music and it will fit the track, usually with some rearranging/tweaking. Other times I will write the lyrics as I listen over and over to the instrumental.  Janice: Are you both in cohorts in developing the  ambience and layering of the backing track?  Gina: The ambience and layering I leave entirely to Mark. After I've added my vocals to the mix, he will further play around with the instrumentation and create the final song. Sometimes he will consult me about something he's done, whether or not I like it. Sometimes I will notice something in the mix that doesn't seem to enhance the song and I'll mention it. But basically, I trust his experience and judgement and I like to allow him the freedom to ex...